The not-for-profit Country Music Foundation (CMF) continued into 2018 its donations for children’s causes from the March 2017 “Country Roads” concert, this time providing musical instruments to set up a school oriental band, and helping a drought-stricken village with water.
On March 12, the CMF donated a sum of Rs. 140,000 to the Nildiyawara Prajamula Society (a village society) in Mahawilachchiya in the Anuradhapura district to clean existing tube well and fix motor and panel boards to help the village that hasn’t seen rain for nearly three years.
On February 5, the CMF presented Rs. 160,000 worth of instruments to the Gamini Public School in Mahawilachchiya, Anuradhapura upon a request by parents and children from the area.
At a simple ceremony, the students, teachers and the Principal Pathmasiri Wanninayaka welcomed the d0nation. Mr. Wanninayake said the dance teacher has already begun creating a school band while the school was awaiting a music teacher too to join the staff. Parents said the main reason for the donation was the principal’s dedication and commitment to improve the quality of education in this small school.
The instruments were made up of a Sitar, Esraj, Violins, Tabla, Seraphina, Flutes, Udarata drums, Pahatharata drums, Pantheru, Thalampota, Kombu nala, Hak kombu nala, Symbols, Bass drum, Dawul and Thammettam.
The combined total so far from the 2017 concert proceeds now stands at Rs.1.27 million. These donations were to:
- April 2017 – Pimbura Primary School, Agalawatte – 136,000 (360 school bags for the 2017 Avuruddu celebrations) with support from Ceylon Biscuits and Nestle,
- May 14- Horizon Lanka, Mahavillachiya – 130,000 (cost of 5 Dialog winipads)
- May 12 -PREDO, a community service NGO in Hatton – Rs. 150,000 for a project supporting the children of migrant workers;
- May 12 – ESCO Batticaloa – 150,000 (children’s project organized by this NGO working to support migrant workers and their families);
- May/June -Kiula Kiyawana Gunaya Free Classical and Folk Music Class, Hambantota – 205,000 for the purchase of an ESRAJ instrument and provision of scholarships for nine of the brightest students in this music class. They are each receiving Rs. 2000 per month for 12 months ending in May 2018.
- May 30 –200,000 was presented to Give2Lanka for a Batticaloa water project operated by Berendina Sri Lanka with the National Water Supply and Drainage Board. This project involves providing pipe water connections to low income families, according to CMF officials.
- February 5 (2018) – The CMF presented 160,000 worth of instruments to the Gamini Public School in Mahawilachchiya, Anuradhapura upon a request by parents and children from the area.
- March 12 – the CMF donated a sum of 140,000 to the Nildiyawara Prajamula Society (a village society) in Mahawilachchiya to clean existing tube well and fix motor and panel boards to help village that hasn’t seen rain for nearly three years. This support will help several families including children and their mothers.
- ENDS –